Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Pulled in by Garda

Options
  • 23-11-2006 2:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭

Well after all the threads recently giving out about Garda just have a quick story

Was on way into work this morning. Was late so was in a bit of a rush and I done something stupid which didn't even get me any extra time. ANyway was sitting in traffic and next thing got knock on window, to be honest it scared the **** out of me and I kinda jumped in seat. Garda smiled. So I rolled down window and traffic started to move so I just said I would pull over into bus lane to let traffic go.

Pulled over and stuck on hazards and Garda came over, one of the lads on the bicycles that are all around the quays. Anyway I knew what was coming so when he came over he explained why he pulled me over. Knew I was in the wrong so didn't disagree and handed him my license. Was taking details and I just explained the address on it was my Cavan one so gave him my Dublin one.

Then he started, if you listen to everyone here I would be expecting a tirade. But he explained he knew how frustrating the traffic on quays can be etc but there is no point driving like a mad man. I just replied and said I knew I was in the wrong. Took my insurance details etc and then.....

He just goes, your ok I will just give you a warning. Show your insurance details at local station and we will say nothing more about it. Told me to slow down and bit. Thanked him and he said goodbye and sent me on my way.

Now as I have mentioned numerous times on here if you are couterous to the Garda they will be the same to you. Every dealing I have ever had with Garda and this one included they have been very helpful and always courteous to me. Fair play to the Garda!!!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 723 ✭✭✭3ps

so what did you do?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,861 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Nelly you should rename this thread to "Nelly learns humility!" :D:p

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Nelly - I thought you did everything by the book! You disappoint me. Tut, tut. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

3ps wrote:
    so what did you do?

Ran a light, it was amber but I knew as I was going thru I shouldnt be doing this. Never seen Garda cause he was on a bike! ;)
    Nelly you should rename this thread to "Nelly learns humility!"

After all your bit*hin and moaning about Garda I thought this point would hit you!haha!!

And after all the quotes on here saying I was the angry man of this forum. Shows this is untrue

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭Dammer

Yes same thing happened to me.. Garda was at a Checkpoint near Dalkey Village and stopped me at a roundabout. I had no seatbelt on at the time as I had just left from a Dentist Appointment. He noticed it!

Anyway I was polite, showed him my license explained what I was doing here (getting fleeced by a Dentist for a consultation!) He was fair and courteous and let me off... After I buckled up of course.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭Puteq

Good post. I have to say I always had a lot of respect for the good job the guards do, they work crappy hours in a job dealing with losers a lot of the time and no doubt telling people the same thing all the time so I wouldn't blame them for giving out to people sometimes.

But would you be so agreeable towards the gardai if he had not let you off? I think people bad opinions towards the gardai is negative when they do something wrong and get in trouble for it, they then shoot the proverbial messenger instead of accepting responsibility for their own actions. I got my penalty points in my time (for speeding), and while I think the speed I was doing, on the stretch of road I was on at the time I was caught, was OK, the fact is I broke the law, and so was punished accordingly - I accept it and dont blame the gardai, I blame myself. Some peoples rationale is that they did the same speed every other day and so shouldnt be busted this one time is not a valid argument. And look at it from the perspective of the gardai, they have to go the the awful scenes of traffic accidents and see the horrible aftermath, so would you blame them for busting you when you break the limit?

The only thing is - my respect for the gardai was damaged a lot when i saw them throwing protesters over walls in Mayo, now I am not so sure what to think of them any more ...

Puteq wrote:
    my respect for the gardai was damaged a lot when i saw them throwing protesters over walls in Mayo
    A lot of others had an increased respect for the force following that incident, but that's another story. :D

Dammer wrote:
    Yes same thing happened to me.. Garda was at a Checkpoint near Dalkey Village and stopped me at a roundabout. I had no seatbelt on at the time as I had just left from a Dentist Appointment. He noticed it!

Anyway I was polite, showed him my license explained what I was doing here (getting fleeced by a Dentist for a consultation!) He was fair and courteous and let me off... After I buckled up of course.

Another display by a Garda that if you talk to them proper then they will always talk proper to you

Just thinking there, was on phone to cousin, remember he sayign a while ago was on Blanch bypass. Shot into the bus lane and flew down it in heavy traffic. Stopped by Garda. Garda had a laugh with him, he was driving a L200 and Garda telling him he could hardly not spot him in a vehicle that size.

Warned him not to do it again and sent him on his way.

Big Nelly wrote:
    if you talk to them proper then they will always talk proper to you
    Or even 'properly'. ;)

Puteq wrote:
    But would you be so agreeable towards the gardai if he had not let you off?

I have always said the Garda do a great job on here. If I had got a fine would still say he was great to me. I was expecting fine/points whatever he gave to me and as I mentioned in post I would have deserved it. I knew I was in the wrong and told the Garda as much when I was talking to him. Just wanted to post about it after all the bad press the Garda are getting in last while on here!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭Keith C

Happened to me few years ago, had recently bought my first motorbike & was maating a friend in Ranelagh, was late & going down bushy pk rd, motor bike garda was pulled in with speed camera, clocked me & pulled me in. I pulled over & first thing i did was get off bike, take off helmet & produced my insuranc & licence before he asked. He then asked what speed i thought i was doing, i said 50mph but i didnt really know. He said i was doing 61mph in 30 mph zone. I apologised saying the bike was only knew & i was still getting used to it etc.... He gave me a bit of advice about bikes as he said his son only bought one so he knew where i was coming from. He asked where I worked, at the time i actually dealt with bike insirance so he asked me qeustions about it.
    Anyway long story short he said that normaly i would be brought to court & banned but because I was young & had answered all his questions politly & seemed like a decent person :D he would just give me £50 fine & too be more carful in future as next time i wouldnt be so lucky.
    Their not all bad!

Or even 'properly'. ;)

Have always said on here my english typing is crap. I am a techie so know more about setting up a SAN than typing a post with proper english

• Registered Users Posts: 28,861 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Big Nelly wrote:
    Have always said on here my english typing is crap. I am a techie so know more about setting up a SAN than typing a post with proper english
    Fair enough this cop was decent about it and let you off - maybe he could give lessons in dealing with the public to many of his colleagues?? :rolleyes:

Another story, was out about 2 years ago with my GF and a few friends in town. She had parked her car along the road at mate house. ANyway came back around 2 and I noticed something strange on car. Went to look and whole door had been pulled out. Someone had pulled the top of door back to try and rob it. Was a little import thing with no alarm or anything.

Anyway guy that was trying to rob it must have been disturbed. Rang the Garda and about 40 mins later 2 young guys landed. Chatted to them what options where and they offered to get someone out to check for finger prints. Told them not to bother as we had been looking at damage and prob ruined all evidence. We had drink in so where not thinking.

Anyway one of the Garda said he had worked in Garage before and said he might be able to fix door. Anyway they stayed for about 30 mins helping us and got the door fixed. Jumped up and down on door and it forced it back in. Anyway was fixed and asked what we where doing. Said we where heading into house for some more cans. Just told us to keep an eye out. Gave us there badges and if anything else happened that night to ring and ask for them. Pure professional!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,102 ✭✭✭mathie

Big Nelly wrote:
    Fair play to the Garda!!!!

Fair play?!
    You broke the rules of the road and you think that's fairplay?
    What lesson have you learnt?
    Be courteous to the Gardai the next time they pull you over?
    I'd have thrown the book at you.
    I took an illegal right once and got pulled for it.
    If he had given me a warning I'd do it 'til I got a fine.

Kaiser2000 wrote:
    Fair enough this cop was decent about it and let you off - maybe he could give lessons in dealing with the public to many of his colleagues?? :rolleyes:

Think it would be better if the public took lessons in dealing with the Garda!! especially you!!:p

Big Nelly wrote:
    ...one of the Garda said he had worked in Garage before and said he might be able to fix door... Jumped up and down on door and it forced it back in...Pure professional!!!

Right ... :rolleyes:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭mickoneill30

mathie wrote:
    I took an illegal right once and got pulled for it.
    If he had given me a warning I'd do it 'til I got a fine.

Well some people are capable of learning from warnings.

mathie wrote:
    Right ... :rolleyes:

Well to be honest I can't remember exactly what he done cause I had a few beers on me. Fixed the car which would have prob cost a fortune in garage. Lovely lads and where great to us. If you have a problem with Gardai then explain?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭gyppo

Big Nelly wrote:
    Now as I have mentioned numerous times on here if you are couterous to the Garda they will be the same to you.

Maybe if you applied that rationale on the boards here, you might find it would be reciprocated. ;)

• Advertisement

Big Nelly wrote:
    Well to be honest I can't remember exactly what he done cause I had a few beers on me. Fixed the car which would have prob cost a fortune in garage. Lovely lads and where great to us. If you have a problem with Gardai then explain?

My problem is the lack of consistency in how the Gardai deal with the public.

gyppo wrote:
    Maybe if you applied that rationale on the boards here, you might find it would be reciprocated. ;)

No chance, I live and die by the posts I put on here:p

Well some people are capable of learning from warnings.

People will generally continue to do something until it is no longer successful for them.
    As a lot of people will agree seeing people drive down buslanes every day is very frustrating.
    The only way to stop that habit is to fine them.
    You think most people will stop doing something because they're told not to?
    I love your faith in humanity.

mathie wrote:
    My problem is the lack of consistency in how the Gardai deal with the public.

Everytime I have had any dealing with them or any of my family it has been great!! have another story I mentioned on here when someone tried to rob one of the lads car outside the house. Again they where great!!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭C_Breeze

I was on the stillorgan dual carriageway last nite at about 2am ,stopped at the lights (accross from foxrock church) whith an unmarked focus was behind me (I didnt know it was the guards) when along pulls a Porsche 996 beside me.

I decided to just give a quick rev of the engine for a laugh, and the old guy (about 50/60) looked back at me and revved his engine. so the lights go green and we both tear of at the lights and him leaving me behind...and me leaving the focus behind ..that was trying aswell.

So we do this for 3 sets of lights until we get to the lights at stillorgan village where the prosche went right and i waited to turn left. Only to see the focus in my rear view approaching with blue flashers on... he pulls up infront of me (Porsche was long gone as he was going right and had green light), stops the car and comes up to me and i rolled down my window and says the following with a grin on his face...

"Slow down , dont be drivin so fast as its wet outside " ...and as he was about to walk off he turns around and says "..and dont be trying to race Porsches , theyll tear the hole off ya!!" , gives my windscreen 2 small curteous taps and walks back to his car and drives off. Without me having said two words , i was in awe.

COOLEST GUARD EVER :) Thumbs up to that man

mathie wrote:
    People will generally continue to do something until it is no longer successful for them.
    As a lot of people will agree seeing people drive down buslanes every day is very frustrating.
    The only way to stop that habit is to fine them.
    You think most people will stop doing something because they're told not to?
    I love your faith in humanity.

Just seen a thread on some guy talking about driving down the bus lane everyday. I drive for a living so spend alot of time on the roads and this was the first time I was pulled for been bold. I deserved it and I did notice myself on way around town later that I made sure the light where green when I headed thru them and I didnt chance any of the lights. Yes 90% of people will learn but there is always a few. Hence why every weekend we listen to so many deaths on road!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭eden_my_ass

Can I ask....cause the penalty points website is vague and on the matter of consistency, I was pulled this morning for staying in the overtaking lane (on a short stretch of road where i was taking the next right). The garda proceded to tell me that it was the worst driving he'd seen (no traffic behind me, in front or oncoming) and he could give me two points but was on a call. I can't see the specific offense, but more to the point I pity this poor garda if THATS the worst driving hes seen, he should sit in with me on the way to and from work, its a fascinating trip!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭el tel

There's nothing this Cavan man likes better than to borrow a
    cap and jacket and hang out with 'the boys' down on the big
    Gardai fun-bus

edited.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

lmao @ pic

Big Nelly did something wrong, surely some grave mistake has been made....
    :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭SonOfPerdition

Big Nelly wrote:
    Just seen a thread on some guy talking about driving down the bus lane everyday. I drive for a living so spend alot of time on the roads and this was the first time I was pulled for been bold. I deserved it and I did notice myself on way around town later that I made sure the light where green when I headed thru them and I didnt chance any of the lights. Yes 90% of people will learn but there is always a few. Hence why every weekend we listen to so many deaths on road!!!

tut tut tut tut tut

there's a big difference between driving in a bus lane and running a red light. I don't believe it was amber, a garda wouldn't pull you unless it was red.

people who run red lights should be banned off the road !!!!!!!!

but . . i'll give you some credit for posting it here, you could have kept it to yourself. :)

Advertisement